Thursday, November 12, 2009

Would You Like to Play a Price Is Right Pricing Game?


Do you remember the old Race Game? (Fun fact: it debuted four days before I was born.) Contestants were given four price tags and four prizes, and they tried to put the price tag on the corresponding prize. Once they assigned price tags to all four prizes they'd run back to a juke box looking machine with a lever. They'd pull the lever to find out how many they had correct, and then they'd run around swapping price tags and returning to the lever until they got all four right (to win all four prizes) or ran out of time.


Here are four price tags...


Lady in 70s muumuu guesses which price tags belong to what prizes.


Wait, is that lady barefoot? I mean, 70s muumuu lady has two of the four right.

Mark was intrigued by the retail prices of the four pieces of equipment that came with my blood sugar testing kit. (Fortunately they were mostly covered by insurance.) He put the prices on post-its and had me put them next to what I thought were the corresponding "prizes." There was no time limit and all I won was my diabetes testing equipment back (yay). Also, Mark made me pull his arm down as a lever in order for him to tell me how many I had right. The game took longer than I'd like to admit.

Let's see how you do.

Here are the prices:

$9.70
$20.20
$25.99
$99.99

And here are the "prizes":


One box with two vials of control solution (used to test the accuracy of the glucometer)


Two boxes, each containing 100 lancets (used for finger pricking)



Glucometer (to test blood sugar), travel case, lancet holding device for finger pricking, a few test strips and lancets, and instruction manual



Two boxes of 100 test strips each. Blood is placed on the strip and the glucometer produces a reading.

The answer is below Wilford...



The "prizes" are in order from least to most expensive.

$9.70 - control solution
$20.20 - lancets
$25.99 - glucometer and kit
$99.99 - test strips (I know!)

2 comments:

  1. I recognize those strips. We have a OneTouch UltraSmart. (With an additional $30 cable and software kit, it can offload data to a computer to make long-term records and spiffy charts. It also supports sampling from places other than the finger, so I have lanced him in the forearm and the outside edge of the hand.)

    I am guessing you don't mind lancing yourself from the kind of lancets you bought. If your fingers get unbearably sore, there's an automatic lancing device called the Softclix that holds a little drum of lancets and you push the button on the end of the device to stick yourself to the depth you set. It's a little more expensive than regular lancets. Also, I think I could use it as a self-defense device in the event of a vampire invasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have been totally negligent and not read the blog and missed EVERYTHING! I'm sorry to hear about your GD - I had it too and it was so annoying. Luckily, and this was the case with almost all the women I know with GD (not Type II), the baby was smaller than average and was almost hypoglycemic from the diet (uh, that wasn't lucky at all, but apparently happens alot from very moms being too cautious). But yeah, it was a nuisance. I had chocolate cake at the hospital.

    Anyways, hang in there! I love your blog so I'm adding it to my Google Reader so I don't keep missing out. :p

    ReplyDelete